Main Page -> Working Seminars -> Children 3-6 years old
Mathematical education of kindergarten children
Recognition and shaping of children's cognition in scope of counting, geometry and space control.
Working seminar Mathematical education of kindergarten children (age 3-6) focuses on understanding and shaping of children's cognition in scope of arithmetic, geometry and space.
Therefore, we distinguish two thematic groups:
- The subject of the first: Diagnosis of children's mental abilities in scope of counting: diagnosis methods, interpretations of children's behaviors and research outcome;
- The subject of the second: Children's abilities of discovering geometrical phenomena: examples of children's activities, presentation of children's achievements and research outcome.
Information concerning the seminar work in the thematic framework of "Diagnosis of children's mental abilities in scope of counting: diagnosis methods, interpretations of children's behaviors and research outcome"
Recognition of kindergarten children's capabilities in scope of counting is essential for:
- support of children's intellectual development with emphasis on mathematical abilities/skills
- planning and realizing mathematical education in kindergarten in the way that assures children's success in mathematical education at school.
Seminar activities are planned in the following fashion:
The workshop will be the point of departure for the seminar - presentation of the diagnosis with the application of diagnostic tasks, during which researched children will disclose their ways of cognition. These activities will be conducted in such manner that adult members of workshops will have an opportunity for a direct contact with children and a person who carries out the diagnosis.
For organizational reasons polish children will take part in the research but an interpreter will translate the course the activity simultaneously. Every participant of a thematic group will receive a script according to which the diagnostic research will be conducted. Those scripts will be prepared both in English and in Polish. The workshops will finish with the interpretation of children's behavior and a discussion to which all adult participants are welcome to take part in.
2. Information concerning seminar work in the thematic framework of 'Children's abilities of discovering geometrical phenomena: examples of children's activities, presentation of children's achievements and research outcome.
The world of geometry has to open to a child. Relevant activities should focus their attention on perceptional phenomena hidden in the outside world. In our understanding, geometry classes for children aged 3-6 should also support the general development of mathematical thinking.
The point of departure for this topic will be the workshops during which the participants of the seminar will take part in activities targeted as children's activities. Their own experience after the activities will be confronted with children's work results, which are scientifically prepared.
Everybody who is interested in the topic is welcome to take part in the seminar.
We issue an appeal to those who will share the outcome of their researches and their experience in the field of:
- Diagnosis of kindergarten children's capabilities in the scope of counting
- Supporting children in the development of their ability to learn mathematics
- Effective mathematical education at kindergarten level, inviting them to cooperate.
We kindly ask to share your experience in this field. We also ask to send us your suggestions, to present examples of your tasks and classes. Discussion will start on the website in June 2008. We propose that direct meetings in the frame of the conference will be the continuation of the work initiated via internet contacts.
We hope that as a result of seminar cooperation there will be materials which can be published after the conference
Best regards - Edyta Gruszczyk-Kolczynska and Ewa Swoboda